The CLF Wasted Food Project aims to generate evidence that makes a meaningful contribution to the US goal of halving waste of food by 2030. We work primarily in the US but have several international projects.
Research and reports
Food Rescue Intervention Evaluations: A Systematic Review
Addressing wasted food in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 2018
Salvageable food losses from Vermont farms.
Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems & Community Development. 2018
Climate Solutions: Shifting Diets And Reducing Wasted Food. Talanoa Dialogue Submission. Executive Summary. (2018)
Wasted seafood in the United States: Quantifying loss from production to consumption and moving toward solutions. (2015)
Urban Food Waste Interventions: Where To Go Next
Stories, February 5, 2020
Wasted Food Means Wasted Nutrients
News Release, May 15, 2017
Government Agencies Call for Reducing U.S. Food Waste By 2030
News Release, September 17, 2015
America's food waste problem is bigger than you think
Johns Hopkins Public Health, Fall 2015
Max Fresh: What the heck do “best by” and “sell by” mean?
Johns Hopkins Public Health, Spring 2015
Projects and activities
- Seafood Waste and Resource Use
- Frozen seafood as an intervention to prevent waste: retailer and consumer perspectives
- Nanotechnology and food waste prevention
- Wasted food in Saudi Arabia and agricultural extension
- Testing consumer messages regarding new date labels
- Comparing discourse about food waste in the US and UK (CLF-Lerner Fellow Katie Heley)
- Date labels: Focus groups to identify preferred language for national food date labels (2014)
- Qualitative interviews with supermarket stockers about food discards
- Qualitative interviews with farmers about crop donation and incentives they value
- Simulation modeling of supply chains for perishable foods in low-resource settings (CLF-Lerner Fellow Marie Spiker)
- Identifying food recovery organizations in the Chesapeake region (2014)
- Quantifying farm-level food losses in Vermont
- Modeling by-country environmental impacts of wasted food interventions