Food System Lab @ Cylburn
For seven years, the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future operated the Food System Lab @ Cylburn, an urban teaching farm at Cylburn Arboretum in Baltimore City. . The Food System Lab demonstrated the important connections among the living components of a small-scale agro-ecosystem and provided a compelling introduction to an equitable, healthy and sustainable food system. Visitors were able to engage directly with a variety of food production practices, including aquaponics, a system of agriculture that combines fish farming with hydroponic plant farming.
CLF’s Aquaponics Research:
- Energy and Water Use in a Small-Scale Raft Aquaponics System in Baltimore, MD, USA
- Commercial Aquaponics Production and Profitability: Findings from an International Survey
- An International Survey of Aquaponics Practitioners
- Fish in the Classroom: A survey of the use of Aquaponics in Education
- Production and consumption of home grown produce and fish by non-commercial aquaponics gardeners